Remy Ma has hinted that she thinks the media had an effect on the outcome of the 2022 court case involving Tory Lanez and Megan Thee Stallion.
Rem and fellow guest Hitman Holla were recently questioned by the host of The Jason Lee Show if they thought that people’s behavior reflected the trending hashtag “Protect Black Women.” Lee made a point of mentioning the care Megan Thee Stallion had both before and throughout the trial related to her 2020 shooting.
Jason Lee said that Remy Ma could be unsure about whether Meg was shot as Hitman Holla responded that, despite the guilty judgment, he feels there is no way to determine precisely what occurred in the case. She then said, “I don’t know. I wasn’t present.
Remy returned to the subject of the well publicized trial after acknowledging that she does not believe Black women are supported universally, but she refrained from taking a side or even naming Meg or Tory Lanez by name.
“I feel like when it comes to public cases, the media convicts people and the media determines what a verdict is,” she said. “And coming from somebody who was on trial before, everything is never 100 percent on each side. So each side is gonna bend [things] so that it goes to whatever caters to them. So I just feel like a lot of times, especially when it comes to celebrities, everybody go with who’s their favorite.”
Tory Lanez’s attorney also indicated in January that his client might not have received a fair trial. Jose Baez, the lawyer, claimed “numerous errors” he felt were committed during the Megan Thee Stallion shooting trial as the root of the problem.
During a party at Kylie Jenner’s home in the Hollywood Hills in July 2020, the Canadian rapper shot Megan in the foot during an argument while intoxicated, and he was found guilty of the crime in December.
Yet, the trial might have gone quite differently, according to Lanez’s new attorney, who is best known for helping Casey Anthony avoid prison and former NFL star Aaron Hernandez win a double murder case.
“Looking at this case, I certainly wish I had come in sooner as opposed to later,” he told TMZ. “Unfortunately, this is the way that it is, but he’s got me now and I’m certainly willing to give him everything I have and hopefully, we’ll get the best result possible for him.
“As you may know, Tory has never been convicted of a crime and he has never had to deal with the circumstances that he’s dealing with, so the adjustment that he’s going through is new to him. To his credit, he’s listening to his lawyers, he’s an incredibly articulate young man.”
He added: “In all of that, there are things that certainly in the trial he wished had gone the other way … He’s trying his best to adjust to everything. In light of the fact that he’s never been in this situation before, it’s really a tough process to go through.”
In relation to the alleged incident, Tory Lanez was found guilty on three counts: criminal assault with a semiautomatic handgun, possession of a hidden, unregistered firearm, and grossly negligent discharge of a firearm.
He’s sentenced to 22 years and 8 months in jail and deported to Canada. Due to a reorganization of his legal team, the 30-year-old rapper’s punishment, which was originally scheduled to take place on January 27, has now been postponed until February 28.
Together with Baez, Tory has also retained the services of criminal appeals expert Matthew Barhoma and seasoned attorney David Kenner, who is well known for helping Snoop Dogg win his 1993 murder case and having previously defended Suge Knight.
His three convictions would be overturned if the move for a new trial were to be filed, which the attorneys are now preparing to do.